Almost every prospective client we talk to asks the same question:
What’s the best way to handle attribution across marketing channels?
Well, we all know TV impacts different media across response channels, such as online activity, store traffic, app downloads, direct mail, and print. What many marketers haven’t figured out is how to measure this impact on their all-important, number one reason for being: sales. If this question can be answered, marketers will have better control over their budget and media mix, and ultimately, have more (and more cost-efficient) sales.
This isn’t a new issue. In fact, it’s been around for decades. Retail, for example, has been wrestling with how to measure the impact of broadcast media on their cash registers seemingly forever. However, the staggering number of outlets that are currently available to deliver the advertiser’s message—along with the fact that 87% of consumers are now engaging in multi-screen viewing—has certainly compounded the confusion.
But back to the question: How can we measure this impact?
The answer, of course, is there is no simple answer. There is no cookie-cutter approach. That’s why we take a unique path to attribution for each of our clients. And while each path may be different, they all begin from the same place.
So with that in mind, here are a few questions to consider as you set upon this marketing challenge:
1. How complex is your media mix? Do you rely mostly on broadcast? Or do you have several marketing channels? Is your scope national, regional or hyper local?
2. Have you established a baseline of activity in each channel? Have you tried a “dark test” in some of your larger scale channels?
3. Do you utilize unique response mechanisms such as phone numbers, URLs, promo codes, and text numbers?
4. Have you mapped out digital activity alongside TV spend & call volume?
5. Do you closely monitor branded search? This is one of the quickest ways to see the impact of broadcast, as we know a branded search is not spontaneously generated.
6. How complicated is your sales cycle? Do you sell direct, via web, via retail? How long is the cycle from consideration to purchase?
For DRTV advertisers, we do have a secret weapon – CALLS! Mapping & tracking call volume back to the source... identifying both the bursts and the long tail of call volume... these principles set the foundation for attribution. Advertisers who learn from their call data and use it to provide context for their digital response are way ahead of the game.
Answers to these questions will help you determine the path you’ll need to take to your attribution answers. Let us help you understand TV’s impact on your overall sales.
Call us to learn more.